LTV Customer Count

When I look at this report - Log in
I see that the number of customers in the cohort is quite high for every month. It’s looking a 36 months and the customer count starts at month 0 at 657,858 and at month 36, it is 423,589. If I pull my own report here Log in, and do a customer count for 36 months, I get 277,759, which seems like the right number of customers we would have for that time period. ~7,716/mo. I think I might be reading the definition for the customer value in the LTV incorrectly. It says that it should be the number of customers in that cohort.

Hi Jennifer,

In the LTV Explore the ‘Customer Count’ = How Many Customers are in the cohort “Months Since First Purchase”

For example, 36 months (Time on the Books / 30 days - Not calendar months) have passed since the FIRST purchase, for 423,589 customers.

This is a different calculation than Customers who made any purchase in the last 36 calendar months.

@Jennifer_Fenton For more on TOB (Time on the Books) please see this Knowledge Base Article

@Jennifer_Fenton just to add another next step … if you want that explore to show only customers whose first purchase was in the past 36 months, you would use a filter like this:

If you’re only filtering for Months Since First Purchase <= 36, you’re showing results from all customers’ first 36 months as a customer.

Thank you for your help. So, how would one be able to see a count of the customers acquired or TOB in March 2024? If the purchase was made in March, they would be on books 0 times. How do I see the size of each cohort?

If you’re just trying to see how many customers were acquired each month, I would recommend:

• Use the Order Line Revenue or Transactional Sales explore
  • Pull in the First Orders Detail Month dimension
  • Pull in the Customer Count measure

That will give you the number of new customers acquired in each month.

(Screenshot below is demo data — not your data)

If you’re looking for something else, let us know and we’ll help you figure out how to get it done

I’m trying to rebuild LTV using different metrics than the dashboard from Daasity. I am doing this so that I can QA LTV dashboards in other systems since there is not a waterfall dashboard in Daasity and the waterfall is very helpful. For example, Shopify is including shipping and net in their dashboard. If I recreate the equation in Daasity, I can then troubleshoot some of the anomalies that I’m finding in the waterfall, such as some cohorts looking very high.

Ok I understand. I would recommend not using any of the “Months since first purchase” dimensions or filters if you’re trying to compare with another platform because I don’t believe Shopify has any similar dimensions.

If you want to provide any more context of what reports you’re trying to recreate, less us know and we’ll do what we can to help

Hi Ben,

I understand that using the “months since first purchase” is not ideal. Thank you for sending the article for the TOB explainer. To better understand, the ideal reason to use “months since first purchase” differs because each line in the LTV report is showing LTV for a customer that has come back in the month indicated. For example, if I look at TOB = 11, the definition of that line item is that it is the total margin for customers that have made more than one purchase and the time between the last purchase and the very first is 12 months. The customers in this line could have come in at any time (month/year) but they share that they have made purchases on month 12 of being added to the database.

For the cohort report that I was looking to pull, I was hoping to see what is the LTV of customers that came into our DB a certain month/year. For example, let’s say that I got 100 customers in April and they all had an $100 AOV. Half of them bought again at the same $100 AOV so their repurchase rate is 1.5. The LTV would be $150. I can use either of these equations to get the LTV = (Total Revenue for that time period for that cohort/ the number of customers in the cohort) or (AOV for that cohort x orders per customer).

I find both views useful. I would like to use the Daasity LTV model but would like to replace “total net revenue” with the “margin” calc that it is using since we don’t pull in COGs at this time.

For the definition that I am trying to recreate, I can see total new customers for a month by using the “first order flag” filter on total customers and run it for that month. What I can’t do is pull that cohort’s total purchasing by time stamp. Any advice?

Hi Ben,

I appreciate your help. I think I got the answer that I needed from our account rep. Thanks!

1 Like