Unique Customer Counts - not quite adding up

I am using the LTV & RFM dashboard, drilling down on “total customers ever purchased”. I’m trying to understand the cumulative number of people who have ever purchased from my store and how that changes every month. Logically, I would assume that I could set the filter to “customer RFM & First/second/last order First Order Details Date” to “is before” “absolute” “2024/01/31” to see the total count of customers who have ever purchase before 1/31 of this year. Then, in theory, I could simply add onto that the number of new customers acquired in January to get the cumulative value for February. However, when I do that, the value doesn’t match the value I get by running the report as listed above but setting my dates to 2024/02/29. Any idea why there would be a discrepancy?

Hi @Alisha_Runckel . First off, thanks for bring this question to the forum!

Based on what you’re saying, it sounds like you may have some misalignment between what you’re trying to compare and what the filters are actually including/excluding. It would be helpful if you could send some screenshots of the report you’re working on so I can see the exact setup of the filters and which dimensions you’re including. (If you don’t want to share the screenshots for everyone to see, feel free to DM them to me.)

What I think you’re trying to achieve is something like the visualization below (let me know if that’s incorrect):

To do this, you need to do the following:

1. Create a custom first order month dimension that groups all values before a certain date
Note that if you define it as “Before Absolute 2024/01/01”, it won’t include data for 2024/01/01 because it’s only looking for values before that date
grouped_dimension

2. Create a running total table calculation so you get the cumulative total
running-total